Tuesday, April 2, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

We celebrated St. Patrick's Day a little late this year.  I debated skipping it altogether this year, but I had some fun things planned for the kids that I wanted to do with them.

Of course we had to have corned beef for dinner, along with broccoli (green), and a rainbow shaped fruit dish.  Jenna ran upstairs just before dinner and brought down green shirts for Grant and herself (without me knowing).  Too funny!


I also dyed their milk green and added a fun four-leaf clover straw.

Yum - colorful fruit with whipped cream clouds!

 Poor Grant was EXHAUSTED and fell asleep at the dinner table (Please excuse the messy table!!)

For dessert I made a knock-off of McDonald's green shamrock shake.  Jenna loved it!  We couldn't wake Grant up enough for him to try it.  :)

Then the kids had to find some treasures (green St. Pat's necklaces, and gold and green coins) under the rainbow in their bathtub. 

Jenna loved it, but poor Grant was still quite "out of it."  I would have just put him to bed, but he needed a bath....so I just gave him a quick bath and got him out.  Honestly, he was so tired, I was afraid he was going to fall asleep in the tub!

Jenna finding her treasures
We also read some St. Patrick's Day books. 

Some of the books were just fun, whimsical stories about leprechauns, rainbows, and golden treasures, but a few were stories of the historical account of Saint Patrick himself.  Interesting that he was a Christian missionary to the people of Ireland.


1 comment:

Cat said...

HAHAHA Love how tired Grant was :) And how enthusiastic Jenna was- to go get the green shirts! What fine ideas! Love them :)