Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Week 14 development

Wow - it's been a few weeks since my last post. I am currently 14 weeks and 2 days pregnant, which means I'm FINALLY in my 2nd trimester - yeah!! I'm doing well - still a LITTLE bit of nausea, but not much at all so I'm very thankful for that. My stomach's gotten bigger; however, it just looks like I've had a big lunch instead of there being a baby bump. To tell you the truth, I'm not really liking this stage - haha! Drew took a "belly" picture of me at the end of my 1st trimester (end of my 12th week).

Again, I just look like I've eaten 2 Big Macs and a Super Size frie at McDonalds. I'm definitely looking forward to when it actually looks like I'm pregnant and not just fat. :)
Anway, here's what took place this last week (Week 14) with the baby's development:

Your baby can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck his thumb! Thanks to brain impulses, his facial muscles are getting a workout as his tiny features form one expression after another. His kidneys are producing urine, which he releases into the amniotic fluid around him — a process he'll keep up until birth. He can grasp, too, and if you're having an ultrasound now, you may even catch him sucking his thumb.In other news: Your baby's stretching out. From head to bottom, he measures 3 1/2 inches — about the size of a lemon — and he weighs 1 1/2 ounces. His body's growing faster than his head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, his arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of his body. (His legs still have some lengthening to do.) He's starting to develop an ultra-fine, downy covering of hair, called lanugo, all over his body. Your baby's liver starts making bile this week — a sign that it's doing its job right — and his spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells. Though you can't feel his tiny punches and kicks yet, your little pugilist's hands and feet (which now measure about 1/2 inch long) are more flexible and active.


Here's about how big baby Borton is now.

We have our 3rd doctor's appointment this Thursday. It's basically just a check-up, so nothing terribly exciting, however....we'll be scheduling our August appointment, which is when we'll find out the sex of the baby!!! So I'm really excited about our appointment this Thursday just so I will now know when we'll find out whether we're having a BOY or GIRL. :)

The pregnancy has definitely felt like it's been going extra slow, but, at the same time, I don't want to rush it. I know that January (or December) will be here before I know it and I'll have a little baby in my arms. So until then, I just need to enjoy the pregnancy and continue to pray for my little one.

In other news, Drew and I just got back from a wonderful trip to CA to visit with his family. I'm planning on posting CA pictures possibly tomorrow. So I'll fill you in on more details of the trip then.

I thought I'd leave you with some pictures of my "other" baby. :) This was taken about a month ago. Drew was outside shucking corn and Bailey decided to help.



Also, here's a video of Bailey playing with a tape measure. We had it out to measure something and soon discovered his fascination (and curiousity) of it.

No comments: