Last week was the Letter I...here's what we did...
Our memory verse was Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." We had another great opportunity to put the verse into action. Jenna was complaining that she couldn't do one of the activities, so we repeated the verse and talked about what it means.
 |
| Jenna doing her computer game |
 |
| Rolling play-doh |
 |
| Finished! |
 |
| At this point Grant brought us a snack... |
 |
| ...so we had an impromptu picnic. |
 |
| Letter-match activity for both upper and lower case letters |
 |
| She had a little bit of trouble with her inchworm puzzle, but figured it out. |
 |
| She did a file folder game where the second bird was blank and she had to find the number that came next. She wasn't able to do it on her own yet, but could figure it out when we counted up from 1. |
 |
| Making her body into the shape of an i. |
 |
| Tracing the letter i - she loved this one since it was pretty easy. Notice in the picture she even wrote both the capital and lower case on her own next to the dashed ones. |
 |
| Then she wrote some more on the back of her paper. |
 |
| The letter I wikki stix |
 |
| She wanted to play with the wikki stix after she made the I's, so I let her. She made these people ALL by herself!! I was totally impressed! From left to right it's Grant, Daddy, Mommy, and Jenna. (She said the rolled up dots in the bottom right of the picture are Bailey...no idea the correlation there.) |
 |
| Pattern activity |
 |
| Making the I's with her geoboard. I helped her just a little with the capital I, but she did the lowercase by herself. (I love how she made the dot for the i) |
 |
| Tracing her numbers |
 |
| Using her Do-a-Dot markers to find all the I's in the story. |
 |
| I saw this clothespin color activity on Pinterest and made it this summer. This was the first time I had Jenna do it. Each clothespin has a rectangle cut-out of a color. She has to match it to the correct color chipboard. It's great practice classifying different shades of colors. |
 |
| For her ABC book, we used Ink to decorate the I. Of course it was at this point that Grant is yelling from the other side of the basement that he needs to go potty. So when I came back to check on Jenna all of her fingers had been dipped in the ink, but she did a good job of not getting the ink on anything except her paper. |
 |
| I told her I wanted to get a picture of her pink fingers and this is the expression she gave me. Too funny! |
 |
| Putting together the inchworm color puzzles |
 |
| Graphing pages - I had her count the inchworms on the paper. Then she had to put cheerios in my hand, one-by-one to get the right number. She still had trouble with wanting to keep adding more than she was supposed to, but improved as we went along. (Please ignore the mess on the table in the background. We had our carpets cleaned that day and I still had things off the floor at that point.) |
|
|
 |
| Grant enjoying his Cheerios snack with a very attentive puppy. |
 |
| Ingredients to make our Igloos. This looks like a sugary mess just waiting to happen... |
 |
| Jenna wanted to ice the igloo on her own. She did well! |
 |
| Grant's strategy for building his igloo was, "One marshmallow on the igloo, five in my mouth, one on the igloo, five in my mouth...." Oh boy! |
 |
| His "finished" igloo |
 |
| Jenna's finished igloo. She did a good job of actually decorating her igloo instead of just eating the marshmallows. |
 |
| I had to get a close-up of her igloo - I thought she did a good job! |
 |
| A new activity this week - she had to "build" the image on the paper. She did well - just needed some help centering the inchworms to actually form a pyramid shape. |
 |
| Matching the correct number inchworm to the number of holes on the leaves. |
 |
| One of her favorites - Do-a-Dot markers |
 |
| Of course Grant wants to participate too. So proud of his work! |
 |
| Since it was I week, we just had to make some homemade ice-cream. Yum!! |
 |
| We then met Daddy for a late lunch at a local park and surprised him with it! He's a sucker for homemade ice-cream. :) |
 |
| Going on a short walk at the park before Daddy had to get back to work. I love this picture of the 3 of them! |
 |
| The magnet page. I hot glued craft pom-poms to circle magnets for Jenna to use on these pages. I've been meaning to do that for a few weeks now, but finally got around to actually doing it. |
 |
| Pre-writing sheets |
 |
| Grant loves using markers, so while Jenna did her pre-writing papers, Grant got to draw on these small white boards that B got them with his own marker. So fun! |
 |
| Lacing card |
 |
| On our last day of the Letter I, Jenna wore her ice-cream shirt. Very appropriate, don't you think? :) |
 |
| She had to match the numeral to the correct number of inchworms. |
 |
| Funny - again, she got all the inchworms in the correct order by size except for 2. She did that last week as well. |
 |
| On the last day she put up the Letter I on our coconut tree and we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. |
 |
| She also made the letter I into an ice-cream cone. |
 |
| For a sensory activity this week, I made some ice cubes - clear heart-shaped ones, rectangular ones with small plastic teddy bears frozen in them, and then others dyed with food coloring. I read online that the food coloring wouldn't turn their hands colors....hmmm.....definitely...not...true. Messy, messy, messy. |
 |
| It was pretty cold outside that day so we started the sensory play indoors, but once I found out that the coloring was rubbing off onto their hands and Grant was having a hard time keeping the ice INSIDE the water table, we quickly moved this activity outdoors. :) The kids seemed to enjoy it. Once we were outside Jenna quickly figured out an easy way to get the bears out of the ice - throwing them on the pavement until the ice cracked open. Smart girl. |
That concludes our week of Letter I. Up next: Letter O!
1 comment:
LOVE it! I read all your teaching blogs with the biggest smile on my face :) I love how proud Jenna is of her work and I love Grant's eager grins to be a part of things! I cracked up at his impromptu picnic, and I love the pic of Drew and the kids walking hand in hand. How sweet :) you're doing such a great job!!
Post a Comment