My baby turned 2 on July 27th! What a joy he is! He has so much personality and can always seem to make us laugh with his goofy grin and how he communicates through his actions. He's doing better with speaking and seems to be saying more words. It's still a struggle to understand him, but I've heard him use some new words and make some new sounds so progress is being made. A lot of times though, he'll communicate to us by acting it out - if he's telling us about something he wants to eat he'll put his fingers up to his mouth and make a "crunching" sound or if he falls down or is telling us how he could get hurt, he hits his head with his hand and says "boom." It's hilarious and so sweet how he tries to use his sounds and actions to communicate to us. Also when he doesn't like something, especially when Jenna does something to him that he doesn't like, he points his little finger, gets a stern look on his face, shakes his head and says, "Nnnnnooo" over and over. It's really funny, of course we've had to work on when it's okay to say "no" and that it's not okay to say that to Mommy or Daddy when we ask him to do something. :)
He's shown some interest in potty training, so earlier this month I "took the plunge." I thought if we made a big deal of teaching Grant to go on the potty that Jenna might also decide to stay dry all the time too. Of course my fear was that neither of them would take to it and I'd now be dealing with two kids wetting themselves all the time! Trust me, I prayed about this A LOT before beginning - just that it would go smoothly and that Grant would take to it much quicker than Jenna did! So when the day came I made a big potty training poster for both Jenna and Grant to put stickers on. Then I talked up how Jenna needs to teach Grant how to go potty so she needs to stay dry all the time, etc. She loved the idea of "teaching" him something and I'm happy to say that they're both now potty trained!!! Jenna hasn't had any accidents now for a month, which is a huge deal and Grant rarely has accidents anymore and has even started running to the potty on his own instead of just announcing that he needs to go. He's still in Pull-ups for bedtime, which I'm fine with. I realize that part will come with time. He already looks so much older with now wearing "big boy underwear." He enjoys wearing them and wants to pick out on his own which pair he'll wear. :)
One of Grant's favorite things to play with is our play kitchen and food in the basement. He'll put food in the microwave and make the "beep, beep" sound when he pushes the buttons. Many times he gives us a hot dog (his now FAVORITE food item - oh boy, he asks for it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and cupcakes. Whatever he gives us to eat he always says, "ha, ha" (hot, hot) and waves his hands around. He'll even put the pretend oven mitts on when working in his kitchen. It's so fun to watch him be involved in imaginative play.
He also has started swinging on a "big kid" swing instead of the baby seat on our playset in the backyard. He does really well; however, big sister likes to show him how she can let go while swinging...and a few times I've seen him try to let go himself. Oh boy!! We very firmly tell him to not let go. I'm tempted to put a helmet on him while he swings (of course I'm joking...sort of).
He still loves his "Bob" - Veggie Tales and also really likes "Mou" (Mickey Mouse). He loves going on bike rides either on the seat on the back of my bike or in the pull-behind. One of his favorite outdoor activities is playing in the dirt pile, especially when the hose is involved (thanks Daddy!). He never seems to walk anywhere anymore. He's always running and then gives a little hop when he comes to a stop. He's definitely all boy and loves climbing, jumping, wrestling, and rough housing. He'll run full-speed towards the couch and then throw himself up on it. Funny how he can play so rough, yet be so gentle when it comes to babies. It's so sweet watching him with his baby cousins. He touches them so gently and gives them kisses on their heads.
I could go on and on, but instead let's get to some of the pictures from his birthday...
| We decorated his doorway with streamers, and he and Jenna had a blast running through them. The streamers actually lasted longer than I expected - almost the entire day. |
| I just love his little grin |
| Happy Birthday to Grant! |
| Since Grant's actual birthday was on a Friday, we waited to do his birthday breakfast pancakes until Saturday so Drew would have time to eat with us. He was quite intrigued by the candles. |
| You're gonna have to blow a little harder if you want your wish to come true buddy... ;) |
| Again, LOVE that little grin. Precious!! |
1 comment:
LOVE the streamers on the door sill..what a GREAT idea, Kristin! Yes, he is your precious little guy that is growing up so fast! Thanks for sending the pics!
Post a Comment