Friday, August 19, 2011

Jenna's Mommy Date

When Drew and I talked about him taking the kids on dates so they could have one-on-one time, I decided I'd also like to have dates with the kids. Even though I'm with them 24/7, I don't get individual time with each one and would like the opportunity to spend some time focusing on just one.

We decided we'd start the dates when the kids turn 2 - that seems to be a good age when they're becoming more independent and communicative. So we'd like to do 2 days/year with each kid - possibly more since we only have two right now. The dates don't have to be expensive or long, just some special time together doing something fun!

Since we hadn't been to an outdoor pool at all this summer (aside from the blowup pool in the backyard), I thought that would be a fun date with Jenna. She loves to swim and play in the water, although she's not a fan of water on her face - a fear she'll have to face before too long. :) So we ventured to the Troy pool on a Saturday morning right when they opened at 11:30. I thought we'd get a good 2-2 1/2 hrs in before we needed to head home for her nap. I was hoping it wouldn't be too packed and to my surprise there were maybe 10 other people there. We had a wonderful time traipsing around the pool, trying out the water slide, splashing through the baby pool, swimming to the deep end to watch the "big kids" jump off the diving board, and sitting on the small water fountains - yes, I did it too!

(I just love her squinty smile)

It's rare that I get to focus my complete attention on her and lately I've seen her desperately trying to get my attention...by acting like Grant - throwing food on the floor, screaming, acting like a baby...all natural things, I'm sure. So I loved getting to focus completely on her and do whatever she wanted to do. Nothing held me back. I didn't have to just watch her while taking care of a baby or tell her, "hold on Jenna, Mommy needs to....". It was just her and me...and I loved it!! :)

I'm realizing more and more how quickly kids grow up. I look at pictures of Jenna, like the one above and can't believe that my baby is THAT BIG! I want to treasure these moments with them before they're gone and on to the next stage in their childhood.


I want to be that parent who's involved with their child and in their child's activities - not sitting on the sidelines staring at their phone. I want to communicate, love, and foster a healthy relationship.

So, needless to say, I love these special moments alone with one child - when I'm away from the housework and daily chores, away from Facebook and email, when I can focus on my child and give her the attention she needs and deserves. I already have a winter date in mind for us...and I already can't wait! :)

No comments: