Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fun in the Sun

About two weeks ago, I decided to go dirt-biking with some friends. It was the first big ride of the season, so needless to say we were anxious to get out for some "fun in the sun".

Well, it was sunny the day I went riding, but don't let that fool you. The sun was definitely NOT shining for several days before that. After receiving almost 2 inches of rain in two days (nothing for Houston, I know), we - we being Drew, Jeremy, & Jerrod - foolishly decided try going for a ride at "Bud's Ranch." The guy owns about 150 acres and you can pay $10 to be his friend for the day. wink wink.

The place is only about 30 minutes from us, which was nice. The property would be great for riding in dry weather, but the wet terrain made scrambling in and out of ravines like climbing up and down a greased firehouse pole. Did I mention the soil is almost entirely clay? "Slicker than snot on a doorknob," as Jerrod says.

All three of us laid our bikes down multiple times. Sometimes not very gently. At one point, while foolishly trying to cross a small stream, I went headlong into the "crick" (as Ohioans so eloquently put it) and was covered from head to toe in muddy water. Emphasis on the mud. My bike went right and I went left. What was I supposed to do? Oh that's right, stay on the bike. So those six inches of water cleverly disguised the eighteen inches of mud underneath. But once we got beyond that, we had a good time. Except that then I felt like I was riding around wearing a poopy diaper. That mud was something else.

I got back and had to clean off my bike. It only took me 4 hours. And that was AFTER cleaning off most of the big clumps at the end of the day. Here are some pictures....

No comments: