Something we started with Jenna a few years back is covering the bedroom floor of the birthday kid with balloons so that he/she has a surprise in the morning. At this point it's still a surprise, but I'm sure if we continue this tradition we'll get to the point where they remember and come to expect it. Grant woke up earlier than we anticipated - Drew was still in bed and I was in the shower when Grant came in our room. Drew said he had a big grin on his face and started talking about "My bird-day!" and mentioning all of the balloons. I think he was excited!
We also hang streamers at their door and of course the kids love to run through them.
I try to have the table decorated with a birthday centerpiece, the "You Are Special Today" plate, and balloons on the birthday person's chair. We also put a few gifts at their seat for them to open that morning.
I just had to include the next few pictures because I love Grant's expression in all of them. He has such a sweet smile!
He then got to open birthday cards that he got in the mail - this ones from my Aunt Lois and Uncle Jim. They include the same number of crisp one-dollar bills as their age - so Grant got three dollars.
A fun Cars card from Paw-Paw and Maw-Maw with a coloring page inside. Jenna was ALL over that! :)
Paw-Paw and Maw-Maw also gave him some "boy" stickers.
I took Jenna to Wal-Mart the night before and let her pick out a gift for Grant. I thought she'd enjoy getting him a gift and picking it out herself. For some reason, he's really gotten into Spider Man and Super Man, so Jenna got him a little Spider Man figurine.
Hannah, Drew, and I gave him some puzzles I picked up in the dollar bins at Target.
We also got him a little Mater "matchbox" car. Jenna took this picture for us. Not too bad. :)
Then gifts were followed by birthday pancakes. Yum!!
Grant got some of his favorites for lunch - hot dog, string cheese, jello, and Cheetos. I know, no fruit..tisk, tisk! I think I had run out of fruit that day because we always eat fruit! It's a favorite of his also!
That afternoon we went to the Air Force Museum with Paw-Paw and Maw-Maw. We thought Grant would enjoy all the airplanes, plus it's a free activity. We were both surprised how interested Jenna was in it all. She was very observant of the planes, how they looked, and the wars that took place. Grant liked the planes too, but he was tired and ready for a nap. Drew and I must have been very interested in it all too because this is the only picture we took the whole time there.
All summer long Grant has requested that we go to a car wash, but it's never worked out with our schedule. So when I asked Grant what he wanted to do for his birthday, one of the first things he said was, "wash car!" Ha! So we went through a car wash. :)
After the museum, we ate pizza at Cassanos with my parents and then headed home for some cake. I made a simple cake because I'll be making another one this coming weekend for his birthday party. :) I just love his sweet smile in this picture!
He loved being sung to (again)...and apparently was a little excited about his cake as you'll see in the video below.
Happy Birthday, Grant! We are so blessed that the Lord gave you to us three years ago! You have such a sensitive heart that we pray the Lord will use for His glory. Thank you for the many smiles and laughs you've given us - we look forward to many more with you! Love you oodles!
1 comment:
HAHA! Love the birthday video :) And his sweet smiles! What a special day...I love how ya'll showered love on him!! So glad we've had 3 special years with him and can't wait for many more!
Post a Comment