Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Week 23 - Letter R

Last week was the Letter R - Rainbows.  Rainbows go along with the whole St. Patrick's Day theme, so it was a good intro for Sunday and St. Patty's Day. 

Our verse for the week was Philippians 4:4 - "Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again, Rejoice!"  It was easy for Jenna to remember the number portion of the reference because it's her age and then I taught her the verse as a song that I had learned as a child, which made it fun.

This was a fun week because there's a lot you can do with the rainbow theme - plus it's so colorful!

Wikki Stix

Rainbow lacing card

Letter Maze

Upper-case and Lower-case letter matching

Pattern Blocks

Roll a Rainbow game - On the paper, each piece of the rainbow is assigned a number.  Jenna rolls the die and then begins assembling the rainbow based on the numbers rolled.

I felt we've been focusing so much on letters of the alphabet, that I've neglected to do much with writing numbers and learning numbers over 10.  So I picked up a Kumon number writing book that she can work through each day.  We do one lesson a day (front and back of a page).  I feel like I've already seen some improvement already.

We went on a RAINBOW TOY HUNT one day.  I drew the rainbow on a large piece of paper and then had the kids find toys of each color.  Jenna LOVED the activity and really got into it!  A few of Bailey's toys even made it into the mix.  :)

I had so many rainbow crafts planned, but we were only able to get to a few of them.  This was one I thought looked like a lot of fun.  We painted the rainbow on bubble wrap and then laid a piece of light blue cardstock over top. 



I made one as an example, Jenna made one, and then I had one set aside for Grant to do, but he was napping when we made them and Jenna was so excited about it that I just let her do Grant's instead.

Letter Hunt

This might be hard to see, but she had to match the clouds to the correct rainbow.  The clouds had the color name written on them.

Jenna making a capital R with her body.

Fruit Loop rainbows!  I had to keep a close eye on Grant - he kept wanting to eat them even after they had glue on them.  Ugh!  :)


I helped Grant with the red and orange rows, but he did the other rows himself.

Color-by-number rainbow - Jenna is REALLY into coloring right now and has gotten much better about staying in the lines. 

Patterns

Upper-case and Lower-case rainbow puzzles

She had to match the upper-case and lower-case letters to complete the rainbows.

Rainbow coloring page

Number match puzzles - She had to match the number of dots to the correct number to complete the rainbows.

Rainbow puzzle

A gross-motor activity - RAINBOW RUN.  I labeled foam strips with their color name and put them on the kitchen table.  Then I had a piece of white paper with the color names written on it.  The kids had to run from the family room into the kitchen, grab one color, run back into the family room, and put it on the correct color word.  As simple (and boring) as it might sound, the kids really got into it.  Funny how anything can be a "game" to them. 





Rainbow letter lacing - I noticed halfway through that she was putting the letters on backwards.  She was doing such a great job, I didn't have the heart to make her start over.  :)

For her ABC book, she glued colored foam pieces (in the order of the rainbow) to the letter R.


Number Practice

Letter writing

Graphing using fruit loops


Then we made fruit loop bracelets for a snack.




Rainbow size sort

Then at the end of the week we added the letter R to our coconut tree.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I don't know how you are finding all the time to be so creative with Hannah now around - but, great job! Loved the toy hunt rainbow - with Bailey's toys as well! To cute! Very creative, Kristin!