Last Wednesday was Halloween, so we took a break from the letter D and did some fun Halloween activities!
 |
| Of course the kids had to wear their Halloween shirts |
 |
| For snack I popped some popcorn and then sprinkled some orange cheese seasoning on top. I figured the orange made it a little festive. |
 |
| B had sent them a Halloween box that had some fun crafts inside. They each got two wooden pumpkins. So they used markers to color one of the pumpkins and then painted the other pumpkin. |
 |
| Very colorful pumpkins! |
 |
| B also included these fun foam pieces to make their own jack-o-lanterns. These were all of Jenna's creations. She did the jack-o-lantern faces all on her own. |
 |
| And these were Grant's pumpkins. I helped him make the jack-o-lantern on the right, but then let him do his own on the other two. :) |
 |
| B also sent the jack-o-lantern drinks. They LOVED getting to drink out of something "fun." I let them have orange juice (again, it goes with the orange theme) and made a jack-o-lantern quesadilla for lunch. |
 |
| B also sent one of Drew's favorite Halloween books from childhood, Rabbit and Skunk and Spooks by Carla Stevens. Drew was so excited to see it! Just skimming through the book brought back great memories for him! :) Both the kids really got into the story - very cute! |
 |
| Then that evening was trick-or-treat. Beforehand we stopped over at my Grandpa and Grandma Shafer's house so they could see the kids all dressed up. |
 |
| My parents came too so they could see all the grandkids. I have to say that's the cutest little banana and owl I've ever seen! |
 |
| Group picture |
Originally I just planned on Jenna wearing one of her princess dress-up
outfits and I was going to put together a Mickey Mouse costume for
Grant. Then I kept seeing Minnie costumes at the stores and finally
caved and got one for her. I just couldn't resist!
So the dress and
ears came with Jenna's costume and since it was an unbelievably cold
night, she wore the black turtleneck, thick black tights, and black
stretch pants overtop (along with her winter coat).
For Grant's
costume, I bought a black headband at the store and made his ears out of
black scrap felt (and cardboard). I didn't have a black shirt for him,
but found one of Jenna's old ones that fit him - shh...don't tell anyone
it's a girl shirt! I found the red shorts at Goodwill and bought big white buttons to sew on. I also bought white gloves at the store and then sewed the three black lines on them using black yarn. I was baffled on how to make his shoes yellow. I'm all about inexpensive Halloween costumes so I wasn't about to go out and buy yellow shoes just for this occasion. Then as I was walking through Walmart one day I saw these very BRIGHT colored adult socks and it dawned on me, I could just use adult yellow socks and put them over his athletic shoes. Perfect! It was fun putting together their costumes this year and actually having them go together - not that that's a goal of mine every year, but who can resist Mickey and Minnie Mouse?! ;)
 |
| Minnie and Mickey Mouse ready to go trick-or-treating! |
 |
| Time to trick-or-treat! She was beyond excited this year to go. We worked very hard on the "trick-or-treat" part and even more importantly, saying "thank you!" |
 |
| Grant went to a few houses, but when we came back to the house for a quick potty break he began taking off his gloves and coat. So Drew stayed back with him while I took Jenna out for a little longer. |
 |
| Afterward I planned on making these Halloween parfaits, although they didn't turn out like the pictures. They're supposed to be layered with crushed Oreos, vanilla pudding, and orange sprinkles. Of course in the picture there's like an inch of orange sprinkles, but I figured that's way too much sugar. So it's not as pretty, but it was still good. |
 |
| Jenna didn't seem to mind the uneven layers. ;) She couldn't even take a break for a quick picture. Haha! |
Now that Halloween's over, we're getting geared up for Thanksgiving. We're excited to have B, Aunt Cathy, Uncle Brian, and Aunt Natalie all here to celebrate with us in a few weeks!!
2 comments:
that's by far the cutest mickey and minnie mouse I've ever seen!!!
Oh my goodness, Kristin, you are SO creative! I love those brainstorms...as you were walking through Walmart and you saw the bright yellow socks! Very clever! The kids looked so cute - and with their owl and banana cousins! Too fun!
Post a Comment