Sunday, January 20, 2013

Roommates

We've gone back-and-forth about how to rearrange rooms with the baby soon arriving.  We bought bunk beds last year, but have kept them unbunked, so our options have been:

1. Keep the kids in their separate rooms and just keep the baby in our room;
2. Put the kids in one room and bunk their beds,
OR
3. Put the kids in one room and don't bunk their beds.

There were pros and cons to both, which made it tough.  I have learned that for me it's best to move the baby into his/her own room after a few weeks, otherwise I hear every little peep and squeak it makes, which not only wakes me up, but I in turn tend to then wake the baby up.  So we ruled out the first option.

We strongly considered moving the kids into one room and bunking their beds; however, with Jenna just having turned four-years old, we were still wary of having her on a top bunk.  Plus, we just knew despite our best efforts, Grant would climb to the top and that all spells DISASTER.  So no bunked beds...yet.

So we landed on putting the kids in one room and keeping their beds unbunked.  Of course it really takes up quite a bit of space, but at least we got everything to fit!  We were really concerned with how the transition to sharing a room would go, especially come nap time and bedtime.  Plus I wondered if Grant would feel like he was "kicked out" of his room or that Jenna lost her room, but both were really excited to become roommates.  I think it will create a special bond between them. 

We've had to make some adjustments to our nap time and bedtime routine in the process and we're still trying to work out some issues, such as whether to drop Jenna's nap, but we'll get it figured out.  Hopefully we can establish a good routine before the baby arrives.  Although, then we'll probably have to adjust that routine some to make way for a new routine with the baby.  Ha! 

Since we decided not to find out the gender of the baby, I'm in limbo with painting any rooms.  With Grant being in Jenna's room, I'd like to paint over the pink; however, if we have a girl we might decide to move the baby in Jenna's room once she's a little older.  And I'd hate to paint over the blue in Grant's room and take down the airplanes in case we do have a boy.  So in the meantime Grant gets to enjoy the pink.  :)


The view from the doorway

We moved Grant's bookcase in Jenna's room so we could have more room for storage.  It works great!
We're happy with the current set-up and ready to meet baby #3!!  Now if we could only figure out a boy and girl name....maybe we should start working on that.  ;) 

1 comment:

Cat said...

Looks like a great set up, and I think it'll be great for sibling bonding! Can't wait to find out baby #3's name!! and sex...and personality :) Love you guys!