Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ducks!

Over a month ago, Bailey discovered that a Mama duck had scooted under our shed in the backyard, made a nest, and layed some eggs. During that time we had to keep Bailey away from the shed. He could get underneath it but couldn't quite reach the duck, but we still didn't want him under there barking and bothering her.

So one day the kids and I were in the back yard - they were swinging while I was mowing. As I came around the corner of the shed, I saw the Mama duck had emerged with 2 other ducklings. I immediately stopped the mower, ran and got the camera, and had Jenna come over to see them. As we watched, more baby ducklings came out...and then some more...and some more. Thirteen in all! We had a great time watching them follow closely behind their Mama and helping them get out of our backyard and toward the direction of the neighborhood pond. It was so much fun and a neat "hands-on" learning experience for Jenna.











1 comment:

Diane said...

Too cute! What great pictures! I loved this blog topic...Reminds me of the "Make Way for Ducklings" book I read as a kid, and read to MY kids!